Health and liability insurance

Health insurance

In order to enrol at the University of Konstanz, all students (international and German) must have health insurance. There are several options:

- statutory German health insurance, or
- private German health insurance if you are older than 30 years, or
- the European health insurance card / EHIC (including the E 106 form)

Students from EU/EEA countries / Switzerland

Students from EU/EEA countries and Switzerland hand in a copy of both sides of their valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) when enrolling.

Please apply for this card in time before leaving for Germany and make sure it is valid for your entire period of time abroad.

Alternatively the certificate provisionally replacing the EHIC (not confirmation of having ordered an EHIC) can be presented temporarily for enrollment.

Students not from EU/EEA countries / Switzerland

Visiting students (exchange students and free movers) and full-time students from non-EU / EEA countries are required to have German health insurance.

Students under the age of 30 years must insure themselves with a German statutory health insurance for approx. 105 - 110€ per month. This puts international students on an equal footing with German students: after presentation of the insurance card, treatment costs are charged directly between the doctor and the health insurance company.

Please note that international private health insurances from abroad for students from non-EU / EEA countries are no longer accepted by the foreigners registration office. This is due to the fact that it is not possible to evaluate if the foreign range of services corresponds to that of the public German health insurance companies.

Students > 30 years of age
From their 30th birthday onwards, international students must insure themselves with a German private health insurance company, which means that the costs incurred for treatment must first be paid for by themselves and the voucher must then be submitted to the private health insurance company. The International Office will be happy to help you with the choice of your German health insurance provider.

Travel insurance
Travel insurance that is accepted during the visa application process at the embassy is not sufficient for enrolment at the university. This travel insurance only covers emergency care during the applicable visa period. Please be aware that you may have multiple simultaneous insurance policies. Since it is required to have comprehensive standardised insurance coverage equivalent to coverage provided by a public German health insurance company for your registration with the foreigners registration office and your enrolment at the university, your policies may overlap.

Good deal: If you intend to have a blocked account as your financial proof for the visa or residence permit, you may get a good price for combinations. These include a blocked account and a German state health insurance (e.g. Expatrio, Coracle and Fintiba). Please get more information here.

European insurance card (EHIC)
If you are a citizen of a non-EU/EEA state and have a EHIC card, please also bring the E 106 form with you from your home country and make sure it valid throughout the entire duration of your study visit at the University of Konstanz. If you need to apply for a residence permit in order to study in Germany, both documents serve as proof of health insurance. 

Only for students from Turkey, Tunisia and former Yugoslavia (Bosnia-Herzigovina, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia): 
A student who, on the basis of a bilateral agreement on social security, is entitled to medical assistance as well as sickness and maternity benefits in Germany is therefore exempted from the legal obligation to take out a German statutory health insurance policy for enrollment. 
Persons from the above mentioned treaty states are requested to present the respective form as proof of entitlement for the temporary stay in Germany:
•    Bosnia and Herzegovina (BH 6)
•    Macedonia (DE/RM 111)
•    Montenegro (D/MNE 111)
•    Serbia (DE 111 SRB)
•    Tunisia (A/TN 11)
•    Turkey (A/T 11)

Conclude the German statutory health insurance abroad

  • You can apply for and receive statutory German health insurance before leaving your home country.
  • It is valid at the earliest from the beginning of the semester (01 October/01 April) and from the date of enrolment. If you arrive in advance, you will need travel health insurance for the first few days in Germany.
  • You will not require a home address in Konstanz in order to apply for the health insurance. Simply identify “Konstanz” as your place of study. After registering, you will receive an email with your insurance certificate for presentation at the German embassy.
  • The statutory health insurance companies generally provide the same primary services. Additional services offered may differ. They differ only slightly in the price of insurance for students. In Konstanz you will find the following health insurance companies:
  • AOK - Allgemeine Ortskrankenkasse
    Contact/application form in Konstanz: Xenia Krause (
  • TK - Techniker Krankenkasse
    Contact/application form in Konstanz: Tobias Hauser (
  • Barmer
    Contact/application form in Konstanz: Dennis Rimmele (
  • DAK - Deutsche Angestellten-Krankenkasse
    Contact/application form in Konstanz: Marlene Vo Van (

Overview of all statutory health insurance companies

Students aged 30 and older

The legal obligation to have a German statutory health insurance for enrollment at a German university expires when students are 30 years and older.
The International Office nevertheless recommends that all international students take out private German health insurance for the duration of their studies at the University of Konstanz.

We can recommend the following private German health insurances:
- Mawista (student comfort tariff)
- educare24 (XL tariff)
- Vela (Vela optimal tariff)
- Care Concept (Care College Premium tariff)

We strongly recommend non-EU/EEA students over 30 years of age to take out one of the listed health insurances also for the visa or the residence permit.

Liability insurance

According to German law, all damages to persons or things caused by personal negligence must be compensated with an unlimited amount. Compensation may be required, for example, in instances
- where traffic accidents (bicycle or other vehicles) cause material damages and require rehabilitation measures,
- damage is caused to your apartment, or even if
- your roommate's eye glasses fall to the ground and break.

Those who have been negligent and are not insured, must pay for the damages with their private assets, even after returning to their home country. To avoid this financial risk, most Germans have a voluntary personal liability insurance. It resolves the question of guilt in the case of an accident and pays for the damages. You may insure yourself for as little as 20-25 euros for 6 months.

The University of Konstanz does not provide liability insurance for students and it also does not cover any damage claims. All students must organise sufficient insurance coverage themselves.

Since most international students have a limited budget, the International Office strongly recommends that you take out liability insurance for the duration of your stay once you arrive in Germany. We will gladly assist you!