Photo: Markus Winkler (Unsplash)

Your questions - Our Answers

1. Finances

1.1. Which financial support can I apply for?

1.2. I cannot pay for my regular expenses such as health insurance or rent in time.

If you cannot pay your monthly fees due to financial difficulties, please contact your health insurance provider or landlord as soon as possible. You can ask for paying in installments.

2. Tuition fees

2.1. I cannot continue with my studies as planned due to the constraints imposed on the study process. Do I still have to pay tuition fees?

If, due to the standby operations of the university, you can continue with your studies only with restrictions, tuition fees might be waived in individual cases or taking a semester with leave of absence including a reimbursement of tuition fees might be a solution. Please contact the Student Service Centre (SSZ) describing as detailed as possible how the restrictions in teaching, exams and studying have limited or inhibited your learing progress. Contact:

In case you decide to terminate your studies and exmatriculate yourself, the already paid tuition fees as well as other semester fees will be refunded. Please be aware that there is a deadline for reimbursement (usually about 4 weeks after lectures have started). Please find details at exmatriculation.

2.2. I cannot pay my tuition fees for the next semester. What can I do?

If you find yourself in an emergency and won't be able to pay the tuition fees for the next semester in time or not at all, you can apply for payment in instalments, payment deferral or a waiver.

For paying in instalments ( e.g. 3 x 500 Euros), you are welcome to contact us for guidance.

If you would like to apply for a tuition fee waiver, please submit the application for tuition fee waiver along with the required documents to the Student Service Centre (SSZ). It is important that you explain how the pandemic caused your emergency. We will also be happy to guide you in preparing the application.


3. Health insurance

3.1. Does my European health insurance card (EHIC) cover medical treatment in case of COVID-19?

Yes, it does.  In case you contract COVID-19, with the EHIC card you are covered for acute treatment. With the EHIC card you show that you would like to be treated as a holder of a German public health insurance and that the insurance in your home country will cover the expenses. Please see that your EHIC card is still valid and, if necessary, apply for a timely extension in your home country.

3.2. Due to the pandemic, I am studying this semester remotely from outside Germany and I hold a German statutory health insurance. Do I have to continue to pay the monthly fees?

Basically, all students have to prove a health insurance in order to be enrolled students (student status). 

You may, however, get reimbursement / be exempted of your monthly payments while you a) hold your residence outside Germany and b) study entirely remotely. Once you return/get to Germany for your studies, the obligation to provide health insurance is reactivated. You are then obliged to contact your health insurance and pay for all months of the current semester starting with the month of return. German state health insurance providers are advised to limit the health insurance fee to the months in which you are in Germany. Basically, this also applies if you only enter Germany for your exams. Please have a document proving the date of re-entry to Germany at hand.

4. Accommodation

4.1. I rent a room in a Seezeit dormitory and have questions about tenancy in respect to the current pandemic. Where can I find more information?

Seezeit has assembled FAQs on the topic Tenancy and Corona

5. Visa / Residence permit

5.1. I need to extend my residence permit for studies. How can it be done in the current situation?

You can still submit your applications to the Immigration Office of Konstanz online or request an extension via e-mail. This is also true if you are currently located outside of Germany.

We will gladly support you in your application. Write us an e-mail to

5.2. I need to extend my residence permit for studies. Due to the pandemic, I have lost my student job with which I have been funding my studies. My parents cannot help me financially.

The Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community (BMI) advises the Immigration Offices on the matter of financial proof for international students:

If it is necessary in individual cases to extend a residence permit and should the financial proof so far have been based on a student work contract which has been cancelled or postponed due to COVID-19, the requirement of the financial proof for a residence permit extension should be waived.

If the financial proof has been so far provided by parents residing in their home country, this requirement can be waived as well if COVID-19 was responsible for an income reduction of the parents. If 'Verpflichtungserklärung' (declaration of commitment) was used in the past as the financial proof, it will be recognised as a sufficient proof of funds.

5.3. I am abroad and my visa / residence permit / 'Fiktionsbescheinigung' expires soon. What can I do?

Get in touch with the officer in the Immigration Office in charge of your case. If you are registered in Konstanz, it is the Immigration Office Konstanz (German only).

If you would like us to assist you, you can get in touch with us:

5.4. I left Germany with my residence permit and I expect that I won't be able to return within the 6 months multiple entry period. Can I still travel back to Germany after having spent 6 months abroad?

As a rule, if you hold a German residence permit, you may stay for up to 6 months abroad. After that, your residence permit expires automatically. If you cannot return to Germany within those 6 months, please contact the immigration officer assigned to your case and apply for an extension of the 6-month re-entry period.

5.5. Due to changes of the university teaching during the pandemic semesters, I might have to extend the duration of my studies. Can I count on my residence permit for the purpose of studies getting extended?

You can contact the immigration officer assigned to your case. The Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community (BMI) advises the federal states / immigration offices: If changes in the study process were caused by the pandemic, a delay in the studies are not to be considered as a responsibility of the student.

We recommend that you start collecting the documents which can substantiate your claim to delay through no fault of yours. In general, a 10-year rule applies, i.e. you are required to graduate within a 10-year limit.

5.6. I have finished my residency in Germany and I will not be returning. How can I terminate my blocked account?

To terminate your blocked account, please contact your immigration office first. The officer assigned to your case can issue you a permission to unblock your account which you can then present to the bank.

6. Crossing the border and quarantine

6.1. I am staying abroad at the moment and I would like to travel to Germany. Can I return now?

Under Current Information about Corona Regualtions, we have summarized all the important information about entry, quarantine and mandatory testing for you

In principle, entry is possible from:

  • EU member states,
  • Schengen-associated countries: Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein,
  • Other countries from which entry is made possible due to the epidemiological assessment of the situation by the EU.

Entry from other countries is only possible for fully vaccinated persons for any purpose (including visiting trips or tourism). The vaccination must have been carried out with a vaccine that is listed on the Paul Ehrlich Institute website and at least 14 days must have passed since the last individual vaccination. Further information can be found on the website of the Federal Ministry of the Interior.

For non-vaccinated people from other countries, entry is still only possible in exceptional cases. The prerequisite is that there is an absolute necessity. Travelers who have been in a high-risk or virus variant area in the last 10 days must register at before arriving in Germany and have proof of registration with them when entering the country.

Covid-19 test, vaccination and recovery records and quarantine at home:

Since December 23, 2021, people aged six and above have been required to carry proof of testing when entering Germany (PCR-test not older than 48 hours). There may be special regulations for vaccinated or recovered people. You can find current information at the Federal Foreign Office.


Attention: The regulations on the quarantine and test obligation can be changed at short notice by the federal government or the federal states. We will update the information as soon as new regulations have been adopted and published.

6.2. Do I have to quarantine after entering Germany?

Please have in mind that after crossing the border you may be asked to stay at home in quarantine and register with the health authorities as a travellor coming from a high-risk area. You can find up-to-date information on quarantine and Covid-testing here.

FAQs on present regulations on quarantine by the Federal Ministry of Health

Attention: Regulations on quarantine and testing my be changed on short notice by the Federal German Government or the Federal State Governments. We will refer to them as soon as they have been enacted and published.

6.3. Which airport should I choose to return to Konstanz?

Travelling to and from Zurich airport for getting to Konstanz/Germany is possible. Unfortunately, we cannot provide information on Covid testing and quarantine regulations of Swiss border authorities. Please also see "Entry via Switzerland".

If you travel with a preliminary residence permit ("Fiktionsbescheinigung"), we recommend you to enter Germany through a German airport.

7. Laptop

My laptop doesn't work anymore. Can I borrow a laptop?

You can borrow a laptop in individual cases at KIM. The number of laptops and the duration of borrowing are limited. At the device/media equipment section, you can also borrow other small media devices.

Regulations are continously adapted by the authorities. All information is subject to change. Last updated 13.01.2022.